I have just found out, right now here sitting at my desk trying to think of something to write about, that England wanted to hold the World Cup! I wouldn’t have known except for the football fans in the office clutching their head in their hands and mouthing in slow motion ‘Noooooooooooooooooo’ as the radio announced the apparently devastating news that we hadn’t won.
My initial instinct was why? Is it not enough that the whole country is getting stressed about the Olympics in 2012, but we wanted to double the load by inviting the second biggest sporting event in the World to the British timetable too? I have to admit I’m not really very sad that we didn’t win the hosting of the World Cup 2018, although neither would I have been particularly happy if we did.
My only opinion on the subject is really more one of amazement that there is an entire ceremony dedicated to the decision process! A ceremony which creates media frenzy, and is broadcast by every TV and radio station everywhere!
I have been informed that it’s a very serious process. Each country puts forward a presentation and the head decision makers must visit each country and assess its suitability; even our Prime Minister got involved!
… And there I was thinking it was a bit like ‘secret santa’, that they just popped all the names in a hat and the first one pulled out got the gig. Silly me.
Friday, 3 December 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment